Despite an unsettled forecast, there was an excellent turnout for the 13th match. For the first year ever, the draw was available to watch on the internet which created a real buzz leading up to the big game. Added to that was the late announcement that Will Pank was flying in from Auckland, so the top 7 seeds would be taking part in this 10 a side 25 over match. The teams seemed pretty competitive and we looked forward to an eventful day and prayed for no rain.

Magic Hat CC took on Severe Guardian, with Hat captain Peter Codron winning the toss and electing to field. All the players looked a bit anxious with coefficient points up for grabs now. Nick Codron opened for Guardian with Pank at number two. Peter Codron opened the bowling and kept it tight at one end with Hart also finding early line and length. Pank was lucky to still be in there after he hooked one to Reid off Codron, but Reid couldn't hold it.

After 3 overs, Guardian had reached 14 without loss, but John Hart made the early breakthrough bowling Nick Codron for 2. In came Paul Kaye to join Pank and Guardian knew they both had to make it to retirement to really put some pressure on Magic Hat. And this they duly did with some fine boundaries and quick singles off Dan Graham and John Reid. Pank reached 27 in no time at all and Guardian were 50 for 1 after 8 overs. Nigel Codron came on and Peter Codron changed his bowling tactics and threw on Bob Medina. Inspired by this early call, Medina bowled a short one that was hooked straight to Graham at cover and slugger Nigel was out for 1. Guardian now 56 for 2.

Adie Hardy came on to join Paul Kaye as Peter Codron called up James McManus who gave away a couple of sixes in an expensive over enabling Kaye to reach his retirement in style after scoring 30. Louis Jones walked in nervously. Medina still showing good consistency from the pavilion end was joined by the impressive Kristen Cutlip-Jones to bowl to her husband. Louis Jones knocked one to Graham at long on and he headed back knowing that the inevitable had happed. 78 for 3. Jordan Kaye came in. Hardy meanwhile was still driving some fine shots and he too reached 25 off Bronks and was replaced by Edward Codron. Adam Cutts took up the bowling and Jordan hit him early for 4 and Guardian moved on to 100 before Cutts found an in swinger and Jordan was bowled for 6. Joshua Ross made his debut with Cutlip-Jones still causing problems. The run rate was dropping, overs were starting to run out and wickets kept on falling with Ed Codron bowled by Jones for 5. 122 for 5 off 20 overs. Julian Holder came on and knocked up a few runs before Reid bowled Ross for 4. 126 for 6. Tommy Marshall (below) came in to shore things up.

3 overs remained and this was the final wicket to take before the retired would return. It was a difficult situation with Magic Hat needing to keep the run rate down, but not too eager to get someone out. 11 runs came off the final 3 overs and Severe Guardian finished on 137 for 6 off 25 overs. Cutlip Jones excelled with bowling figures of 3 overs 2 maidens 2 wickets for 5 runs. Despite 3 retirements, Guardian were disappointed with their final total after a promising start and the Hat were set 5 and a half runs an over to win.

Dan Bronks and Stuart Chapman opened for Magic Hat against Nick Codron and Louis Jones and both batsmen looked solid and confident after a shaky start and the run rate was being met with some quick singles, occasional cover drives and poor fielding. Paul Kaye (left) took charge with some fast paced seamers, but still there was no joy despite Hardy dropping Bronks and Jordan Kaye dropping a great caught and bowled chance again off the fortunate Bronks. Hardy and Holder also tried their luck with the ball but soon the 50 partnership arrived in 12 overs. Captain Codron was urging his players to pick up the run rate. Chapman on 19 then cracked a high one to Nigel Codron off Tommy Marshall and he was gone.

 Dan Graham came in and pushed the score on nicely with some big hits quickly reaching his retirement on 27. He was replaced by John Reid, who with Bronks continued to keep the score moving on. The hundred soon followed with 8 overs remaining. Confusion rained supreme when Bronks and Reid almost ran themselves out, but Nick Codron fell onto the stumps. Bronks eventually made it to 25 and was replaced by Hart. Guardian's bowlers weren't having a bad day but an average one with the exception of Tommy Marshall and Jordan Kaye, who both looked good with the ball. Ed Codron bowled a loose over that saw Reid reach 25 and he was replaced by Peter Codron as the rain started and the wind picked up.

By this time Magic Hat needed just 9 runs off 3 overs and although Guardian showed real spirit, there was no real doubt that Magic Hat would reach their target. Peter Codron picked up a boundary off Nick Codron's last ball of his impressive final over and it was left to John Hart to hit the winning four off Nigel Codron for Magic Hat to finish on 140 for 1 with 9 balls left. A good day was had by all and we now look forward to next year's match on Sunday 25th July 2010.

Magic Hat won by 9 wickets
2009 Match Report
Severe Guardian v Magic Hat CC